(JULY 27, 2021) – This week, both the Senate Committee on the Judiciary and the House Agriculture Committee will host hearings examining the beef supply chain.
In the Senate, the hearing, titled Beefing up Competition: Examining America’s Food Supply Chain, will be held Wednesday, July 28 at 2:30pm EDT. Witnesses will include:
- Mr. Jon Schaben, Owner of Dunlap Livestock Association and member of the Iowa Cattleman’s Association
- Mr. Rob Larew, President, National Farmers Union
- Mr. Shane Miller, Group President of Fresh Meats, Tyson Foods
- Mr. Tim Schellpeper, President of USA Fed Beef, JBS USA
- Mr. David Smith, President and CEO, Associated Wholesalers Grovers
- Mr. George Slover, Senior Policy Counsel, Consumer Reports
In the House, the hearing, titled State of the Beef Supply Chain: Shocks, Recovery, and Rebuilding, will be held Wednesday, July 28 at 10:00am EDT. A list of witnesses is not yet available on the committee’s webpage.
USCA will work with members of both the Senate and House to advance transparency and true price discovery, truth in labeling, protecting the health of the domestic cattle herd, free AND fair trade, increasing opportunities for success for independent beef processors, and more. The hearings this week, and the increasing conversations in the general public on the beef supply chain, show that there is a willingness to enact change. But our elected officials still need to hear from you!
Call the Capitol Switchboard and educate your Members of Congress on what policies and legislation will help YOU, the independent producer, processor, or hauler. Just dial (202) 224-3121 and tell the operator your zipcode. They will connect you with your two Senators and one Representative.